Physical Medicine visits offer many ways to improve your well-being, recover from your injuries and strengthen your immune system. You may be referred to physical medicine for certain health concerns, such as muscle strains, arthritic and other types of pain, as well as detoxification and immune support.
Treatments offered include:
- Therapeutic ultrasound: Ultrasonic therapy to promote recovery, especially in musculotendinous injuries
- Interferential: Low-frequency electrical stimulation that can be very helpful for pain management
- Additional therapies: Cold laser therapy, diathermy, therapeutic/functional exercise
- Naturopathic manipulation: A safe and effective technique to realign the body’s skeletal system
- Muscle energy stretching: This stretching technique helps retrain hypertonic muscles
- Kinesio taping: Therapeutic elastic taping can help retrain and support the body while allowing the body to continue to move freely (whereas conventional athletic taping is rigid and restrictive)
- Additional modalities: Soft and deep tissue manipulation, craniosacral thearapy, visceral manipulation, reciprocal inhibition technique
- Colon hydrotherapy: Frequently prescribed in a detoxification regimen
- Constitutional hydrotherapy: An older method of stimulating the body’s vital force and immune system.
- Additional therapies: Hyperthermia and peat baths, contrast hydrotherapy, far infrared sauna.
Initial physical medicine appointments last one hour, and follow-up office calls range from 15 minutes to one hour.
Keep in mind that you may feel very relaxed after your appointment. You may want to consider whether you have other obligations, such as returning to a job, when scheduling an appointment. Your hair may be wet or there may be massage oil or cream on your body. You also might want to bring a change of clothes for certain treatments. Call us at (206) 834-4100 beforehand to find out what to expect with your scheduled treatment.