Join Bastyr University for the 18th annual Herb and Food Fair on Saturday, May 21, a free festival that brings thousands of visitors to the Kenmore campus. With gardens blooming and the campus forest buzzing with new life, it's a great time to soak up spring colors and learn about the endless uses of plants. The theme for this year's event is "Enlightened Earth: Feeding your mind, body and spirit."
- Educational speakers and workshops
- Cooking demonstrations from nutrition and botanical medicine experts
- Nutritious and delicious homemade food
- Tours of the Medicinal Herb Garden
- Guided walks through the surrounding woods
- Plant sale with medicinal and culinary plant starts from Bastyr's organic garden
- Live music and entertainment
- Children's activities, including face painting and games
- Dr. Deanna Minich is an internationally recognized health expert with more than 20 years of experience in nutrition, mind-body health and functional medicine. Dr. Minich holds master’s and doctoral degrees in nutrition and has lectured extensively throughout the world on health topics, teaching patients and health professionals about nutrition. She is a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition, a Certified Nutrition Specialist, and a Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner. Currently, Dr. Minich teaches for the Institute for Functional Medicine and for the graduate program in functional medicine at the University of Western States. Her passion is bringing forth a whole-self approach to nourishment and bridging the gaps between science, soul, and art in medicine. Her books include Whole Detox, Chakra Foods for Optimal Health and Quantum Supplements: A Total Health and Wellness Makeover.
- Tom Malterre, NS, CN, is an author and educator of the genius of life and all it has to offer. He likes to emphasize how air, water, food, microbes and plants provide us with an amazing ability to thrive on this planet. He is currently a faculty member of the Institute for Functional Medicine and a Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner. Along with his wife, Ali, Tom has co-authored the popular cookbooks Nourishing Meals and The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook and his latest, The Elimination Diet. You can often find him playing in the woods with his children and wild-harvesting plants.
- Chris Kilham is a medicine hunter, author and educator. The founder of Medicine Hunter Inc., Chris has conducted medicinal research in over 40 countries. Chris is The FOX News Medicine Hunter and appears on FOX News Health TV both online and in U.S. and international television markets. He also writes a weekly FOX News Health Column and is on the Medical Advisory Board of The Dr. Oz Show. As Explorer in Residence for Naturex of Avignon, France, Chris conducts medicinal plant research for the largest botanical extraction company in the world. He is also the Sustainability Ambassador of the Naturex Foundation, which funds community development projects in various countries. Chris is the author of 14 books, including Hot Plants, The Five Tibetans, Psyche Delicacies, Tales from the Medicine Trail and Kava: Medicine Hunting in Paradise.
Transportation and Parking
Visitors can park for free at the Kenmore Park and Ride (at 7346 N.E. Bothell Way) and take the free Bastyr shuttle directly to the Herb and Food Fair. The bus runs every 30 minutes from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Limited parking is also available on campus for $5. Bastyr University is located at 14500 Juanita Drive N.E., Kenmore, adjacent to St. Edward State Park. No event parking is permitted at St. Edward State Park.