Join Bastyr University for the 17th annual Herb and Food Fair on Saturday, May 30, a free festival that brings thousands of visitors to the Kenmore campus. With gardens blooming and the campus forest buzzing with new life, it's a great time to soak up spring colors and learn about the endless uses of plants.
- Educational speakers and workshops
- Cooking demonstrations from nutrition and botanical medicine experts
- Nutritious and delicious homemade food
- Tours of the Medicinal Herb Garden
- Guided walks through the surrounding woods
- Craft sale with tea, artwork, and herb-related goods
- Plant sale with medicinal and culinary plant starts from Bastyr's organic garden
- Relaxing herbal foot soaks and facials
- Live music and entertainment
- Children's activities, including face painting and games
- Jenny McGruther is a food educator and the voice behind the award-winning traditional foods website Nourished Kitchen and book. Nourished Kitchen’s goal is to promote sustainable agriculture and nutrient-dense, whole foods in everyday kitchens. The focus here is on whole, unrefined foods prepared according to traditional methods that optimize nutrient density. She teaches workshops and retreats on traditional foods, fermentation, and food activism. Jenny's work emphasizes back-to-basics, old-world culinary techniques, and simple, traditional home cooking.
- Graeme Tobyn has been a practicing medical herbalist in the UK since the 1990’s, both as a private practitioner and with the NHS. He has been teaching clinical skills to herbal students for 18 years and, since 2000, has lectured on herbal medicine at the University of Central Lancashire, as well as acting as an external clinical examiner for other herbal training programs in the UK. He is the author of The Western Herbal Tradition and Culpeper’s Medicine, both highly regarded texts.
Transportation and Parking
Visitors can park for free at the Kenmore Park and Ride (at 7346 N.E. Bothell Way) and take the free Bastyr shuttle directly to the Herb and Food Fair. The bus runs every 30 minutes from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Limited parking is also available on campus for $5. Bastyr University is located at 14500 Juanita Drive N.E., Kenmore, adjacent to St. Edward State Park. No event parking is permitted at St. Edward State Park.