Going Shopping With Our Nutritionists
Planning to eat in a healthier way, but not quite doing it? Let our nutrition clinicians help move you in the right direction with a guided shopping trip.
A guided shopping trip? You heard correctly. While not your typical nutrition appointment, guided shopping trips create an excellent opportunity for making concrete changes in your eating patterns. This hands-on learning is not as easily accomplished in an office visit.
How do the sessions work? A well-trained advanced standing master's degree nutrition student accompanies you to the grocery store for about an hour and shows you how to select healthier foods. Most trips take place at natural food stores such as PCC and Whole Foods, but you can select QFC or Safeway as well. During the shopping trip, clinicians will:
- Talk to you about your nutritional concerns and goals.
- Discuss with you how to prepare and use natural, whole foods with limited preservatives and lower fat content.
- Introduce you to new grains and legumes.
- Explain the various uses of sea vegetables.
- Escort you on a tour through the bulk food bin section.
- Explain the benefits of choosing organic fruits and vegetables.
- Teach you about average serving sizes and nutrient content of fruits and vegetables.
- Provide you with tips on reading labels.
The cost of this excursion is the same as a regular nutrition appointment at Bastyr Center. A friend or partner can also accompany you and share the cost.
Writer: Sydney Maupin, Staff Writer
Take the next step to reaching and/or maintaining your healthy weight. Make an appointment today.
Or browse more Health Conditions and Concerns.