Immune Support Breakfast
This recipe is used to strengthen the immune system and is often recommended to patients by our clinicians at Bastyr Center for Natural Health. Modify as needed for your personal dietary needs, as it is not designed to be hypoallergenic.
- 4 cups rolled grains (Begin by using the following proportions, adjust as necessary: 2 cups rolled oats (flakes); use 4 cups if other grains are unavailable. 2 cups other rolled grains; i.e. rye, barley, and/or rolled rice flakes.)
- 2 cups oat bran
- 1/2 cup fresh/dried fruit/seeds
- Raisins, dates, blueberries, etc. (unsulphured only)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds and/or pumpkin seeds (can be ground)
- 1 cup nuts (begin with walnuts and almonds)
- 1 cup lecithin granules
- 1 cup ground flax seed
- 1 cup milk thistle (silybum marianum seeds)
- 1/2 cup chia seeds (optional)
- Spices: Try coriander, fennel and/or turmeric.
Begin with 1 teaspoon of each. Experiment with ginger, cinnamon and other herbs/spices.)
Grind flax seeds and milk thistle seeds (available at health food stores) in a coffee grinder, blender or meat grinder. Next, combine all ingredients and keep in refrigerator. Soak for 30 minutes or longer before eating (i.e. overnight). Use water, nut milk, rice milk, apple juice, etc. To make almond milk, blend 1/2 cup almonds with 2 cups water in a blender.
This recipe provides a fun and simple way to incorporate flax seed oil into your diet. Flax seed oil is good for the skin and immune system, and can be purchased from the Bastyr Dispensary.
- 1/2 banana
- 2 ice cubes
- 1 cup juice (Try pineapple, apple, grape, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon flax seed oil
Mix all ingredients together in a blender. Try adding protein powder, fresh or frozen berries, cherries or any other fruit. This smoothie is great for breakfast or a snack.
Tips about flax seed oil:
1. Oil should always be kept in the refrigerator in a dark bottle to maintain freshness.
2. Never cook with flax oil or heat it on the stove or in the microwave; this destroys the benefits of the oil.
3. As the oil sits over time it loses its freshness, smelling and tasting stronger.
Source: Bastyr Center for Natural Health nutrition department
To prevent and treat your cold and/or flu naturally, make an appointment today.
Or browse more Health Conditions and Concerns.