Rainbow Root Vegetable Soup
Root vegetables are warming and sweet. This colorful stew-like soup will nourish your soul on a cold winter day.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Makes: 4-5 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into half moons
- 2 medium carrots, cut into half moons
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium purple potatoes, cubed
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- Sea salt and crushed black pepper to taste
Heat stock pot to medium high, add olive oil. Sauté ginger and garlic for 1 minute. Add onion and sauté until they become translucent. Add carrot, parsnip and rutabaga and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add stock and bring pot to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for about 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Original Recipe Copyright 2009 by Genevieve Sherrow