Rice and Walnut Loaf With Cashew Gravy
Looking for a totally different approach to dinner tonight? Try this nutty little combination of ingredients that will make any vegetarian heart sing! Nuts, seed and whole grains together supply a variety of plant-based proteins in this main dish entrée. Pile the rest of your plate with freshly steamed vegetables
and greens. Breathe deeply. And enjoy your own spa-cuisine evening at home!
Rice and walnut loaf
- 1 1/4 cup cooked short grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roasted, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, lightly roasted
- 1/4 cup onions, minced
- 1/4 cup celery, minced
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Roughly mix brown rice to slightly break the hulls. Mix all ingredients together. Put in oiled pan. Bake in preheated oven at 350 ° F until lightly browned and internal temperature is 165 ° F (about 60-90 minutes). Serve with cashew gravy.
- 3 large onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup cashew butter
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 1/2 cups water, hot
- 1/2-1 pound mushrooms (sautéed, add to finished sauce)
- 2-3 cloves garlic (sautéed with onions)
- 1-2 tablespoons basil, chopped (add to finished sauce)
Sauté onions in oil over medium heat until caramel color. Put all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
Learn more about the nutrition services provided by Bastyr Center for Natural Health.
Back to recipe index.